Saturday, October 24, 2009

Right now, or...?


I'll never forget getting matched up against a taller, faster, more powerful tennis player in a third round match, many years ago.

He was better than I.

He knew it. And I knew it.

Although, somehow I won the first set 6-1 and was up in the second 4-1. Only needing two more games to get into the next round.

Looking back, I'm not quite sure how this happened.

I must have been intensely focused on what I was doing.

You see, at any given time, you can either be focusing on what you are doing right now, whole-heartedly...

or...

You can be focusing on something else.
There are no in-betweens.

++++++++++++++++++
What happened next
++++++++++++++++++


Since I had such a commanding lead, I decided to start thinking about my next match rather than the match I was actually playing. 

Maybe you can relate.  If not in the sport you play, maybe it's in the sales call you are making right now (not the next one, or the one after that), the one you are invested in, at this very moment.

And to make a long story short, my opponent came back, and HE won.

Rather than beat myself up, after losing a commanding lead, this one event became one of the greatest learning experiences of my career, and my life.

It taught me that we really don't have a next.

Only a "right now".

Wishing you the best "right now".

'til next week,

Sam


About Mental Strength.com
Mental Strength.com has served over 10,000 highly productive people, including business owners, athletes and coaches since 1999. A cutting edge interactive website, packed with discussion boards, valuable downloads, books, resources and rich multi-media tools, MentalStrength.com helps its members maintain a great attitude, network with other productive people and obtain life-long mental strength. Memberships start at just $14.95. The tip of the week is always complimentary for non-members and available for enrollment at www.mentalstrength.com. You can also get Mental Strength.com updates by following us on Twitter @MindStrength.

No comments:

Post a Comment